The Supreme Court on Tuesday dismissed the curative plea filed by 1993 Mumbai blast convict Yakub Memon paving the way for his hanging on 30 July. Official sources earlier said Memon will be hanged on July 30.
The Bombay Stock Exchange, the offices of Air India and a luxury hotel were among the targets of the March 1993 blasts, which killed 257 people in India’s commercial capital.
Yakub Memon was convicted of assisting his brother Tiger Memon and Dawood Ibrahim, the suspected masterminds in a series of bombings that marked one of the deadliest terror attacks in India.
It has been reported in the media that the 53-year-old Yakub is likely to be hanged on July 30 at 7 am in Nagpur Central jail.
Justice (Retired) PD Kode, who gave the dying penalty to Memon in reference to the case, stated that the courtroom’s choice has made the widespread man retain his religion in the judiciary. He has been missing since he left the country in 1993.
Memon was among 11 prisoners sentenced to death by the trial court.
Lower courts were bound to issue prior and sufficient notice to the death row convict to enable him or her to consult his advocates and to be represented in the proceedings on the issuance of the warrant. The appeal was Memon’s final legal option, and had already been rejected by India’s President Pranab Mukherjee before being denied by the presiding judge, Chief Justice H.L. Dattu, the Times of India reported.
The apex court by its March 21, 2013 verdict, while upholding the death sentence, had said that his “deeds can’t be viewed distinct from the act of Tiger Memon, hence, both owe an equivalent responsibility for the blasts” that led to 13 serial bomb blasts in Mumbai.
Majeed Memon, his former lawyer, said, “Yes”.
According to a DNA report, Memon had moved a petition in the Supreme Court hoping to stay the execution.
Public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam, who had fought the case in the Tada court, said: “It has been proved in the courts that Yakub was in charge of the entire logistics of the operation from arranging flight tickets for the 15 boys who went to Pakistan for training to funding the escape of their family”.
Memon, who is the only convict given the death penalty in the case, handed over his mercy petition to authorities of the Nagpur Central Prison on Tuesday evening, said his lawyer Anil Gedam to PTI. “The government should commute Yakub Memon’s sentence and put a moratorium on executions until the practice is fully abolished”.
It pointed out that 140 countries around the world have abolished the death penalty in law or practice.
Global human rights group, Amnesty India however slammed the rejection by the South Carolina of the curative petition filed by Yakub Memon.