However unsafe detergent pods might be to children, the most important means of preventing these situations is to keep small children properly supervised and to make sure that the space where they spend their time does not offer them access to unsafe chemicals or other hazardous items, that might put their lives in danger.

Doctors say about 17,000 emergency cases were registered in hospitals between 2012 and 2013, and they mostly had to do with a child inhaling or swallowing or splashing himself with laundry detergent pods. In typical cases, children poke or bite through the dissolvable, thin membrane of the packet and get concentrated detergent in their throats and or eyes.

Those stunning statistics are one reason Consumer Reports announced Thursday it would no longer recommend liquid detergent pods.

Nonprofit also urges they not be used in homes with children under 6 years of age. “We will continue to work with these groups to establish common standards and ongoing education programs that help prevent accidental access to these products, and to engage with stakeholders including legislators”. About 4,500 of the calls in 2014 required additional medical attention. As per Consumer Report, laundry pods need special attention. “Parents and caregivers deserve a robust standard that makes it as hard as possible for children to be poisoned by these packets”, says Elliot F. Kaye, chairman of the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Many of those children were hospitalized and some needed to be intubated.

Consumer reports said injuries associated with them are not as frequent and don’t appear to be as severe.

Pod manufacturers have responded to concerns by putting latches on pod containers and making them opaque so kids can’t see inside them.

The American Cleaning Institute echoing that, saying companies are taking big steps with “more easily read warning labels” and adding “a bittering agent to the products” that would cause children to spit them out.