On Jul 12, Barber Foods of Portland, Me., recalled about 1.7 million pounds of similar chicken projects in connection with the outbreak.

Monday’s recall is an expansion of a July 2 recall of 58,000 pounds of food.

The chicken products were produced between February 17, 2015 and May 20, 2015.

Oklahomans should check their freezers for recalled frozen, stuffed chicken entrees (chicken Kiev, chicken cordon bleu and chicken with broccoli and cheese). The products have an establishment number “P-1358” inside their USDA Mark of Inspection.

The problem was discovered by the Colorado Department of Agriculture during a routine retail surveillance and sampling program, which is funded by the USDA at a Food Emergency Response Network (FERN) lab. After being notified of the positive test result, FSIS conducted traceback activities. Aspen’s recall comes on the heels of another recent frozen chicken recall from Barber Foods. FSIS continues to work with public health partners on this investigation.

Salmonella is a kind of bacterium that is commonly found in poultry products, although can be killed at certain temperatures such as at 165 degrees, while Dr. Wise confirmed that only one or two of the ill customers involved in both the Aspen and Barber cases have cited using a microwave. The most common manifestations of salmonellosis are diarrhea, abdominal cramps, and fever within eight to 72 hours. Most people recover without treatment. In some cases, however, the diarrhea may be so severe that the patient needs to be hospitalized. Infections can be life-threatening, to some including those with weak immune systems, like infants, the elderly and persons with HIV infection or undergoing chemotherapy. Anyone concerned about a reaction should contact a healthcare provider.

FSIS and the company have received no reports of adverse reactions due to consumption of these products. Although the products subject to recall may appear to be cooked, these products are in fact uncooked (raw) and should be handled carefully to avoid cross-contamination in the kitchen.