Dustin Johnson took a big step towards winning his first major title when he handled the cold and windy conditions at the Old Course with aplomb and picked up another three shots during his unfinished second round of the 144th Open Championship on Friday.

Play was suspended at 7:32 a.m. local time – only 32 minutes after the second round resumed – after 40-mph gusts made the course unplayable. Woods shot a 76 in his opening round to tie for 139th, and is in danger of missing the cut for the second straight major.

Chasing the fabled grand slam, Masters and US Open champion Jordan Spieth is five shots adrift after signing for a five-under 67 on Thursday.

Nick Faldo, the three-time Open champion regarded as Britain’s greatest champion, came out of the TV tower to play St. Andrews one last time.

The second round could not be completed on Friday after more than three hours were lost because of torrential morning rain, meaning 42 of the 156-strong field returned early on Saturday to try and get back on track.

The 39-year-old American was five over par having played 11 holes of his second round at St Andrews on Friday night.

Many wondered why the setup staff rolled the greens at 10 on the Stimpmeter when the forecast called for high winds; greens running at 9 likely would not have caused the ball to oscillate. “It played very tough all day”.

Perhaps the most memorable moment that captured the golfing world on Friday was Tom Watson bidding farewell to the Open Championship as he walked over Swilcan Bridge on the final hole with the sunset in the distance. The 65-year-old legend is sure to miss the cut mark with his two-round score of 12-over par. He played 13 holes before play was suspended.

He wasn’t sure he could play because of a deep cut on the middle finger of his left hand and was in the hospital in the early morning hours getting it fixed.

“Shouldn’t have even started”, Spieth grumbled as he walked off the course.

I feel like I am hitting some good shots and am confident with my putter and I am in a good position”.

Willett made his first mistake of the day by three-putting from just off the 15th green and his lead was down to two when Scotland’s Marc Warren, who carded a closing 64 in the Scottish Open on Sunday, birdied the 18th to complete an excellent 69. Ensuing bogey putt lips out he would make double and finish at -2 overall.

“It doesn’t mean I’m going to but my outlook right now is really just to keep doing what we’re doing, trying to stay physically and mentally fresh and enjoy the ride because this is just a lot of fun”.