With the draw, the Timbers snapped a five-game home winning streak.

Vancouver Whitecaps ended a run of two successive defeats by drawing 1-1 away to Portland Timbers this morning.

The two teams almost came to blows at midfield after the final whistle and Timbers captain Will Johnson was issued a post-game red card. “A lot of times guys are frustrated at the end of a game and you rarely see a ref red card a guy for saying something, but it’s disappointing obviously because Will will be out the next game”.

The Timbers return to the road next Saturday to face Western Conference leaders FC Dallas at Toyota Stadium, while the Whitecaps are home at BC Place the following day to welcome the San Jose Earthquakes.

Portland went up 1-0 in the 34th minute when Fanendo Adi fed Valeri, who slotted it past Vancouver goalkeeper David Ousted. He will join the team once his documentation is complete.

Valeri has spent the majority of the 2015 season recovering from multiple injures and has made just ten appearances for Portland this year.

Shortly after joining the club, Melano helped LanĂºs win the 2013 Copa Sudamericana title, appearing in nine matches and scoring three goals during the cup competition, while finishing tied for fourth among all players in goal scoring during the tournament.

He nearly had a second in the 49th minute but his effort went just wide.

“This is player we tried to sign several years ago while he was at Belgrano and have followed him very closely ever since”, said Gavin Wilkinson, general manager of the Timbers. His versatility to be able to play any of the front four positions in our system also gives us flexibility to mesh him with our other quality pieces.

Still, even after Valeri scored, the 1-0 scoreline never felt safe for the Timbers.

The Whitecaps fought back in the second half, however, pulling even in the 58th minute as Kekuta Manneh controlled the ball outside the Timbers’ penalty box.

Kwarasey was otherwise shaky in the opening stanza, though, and the Timbers almost paid for it in the 27th minute when Manneh beat Kwarasey to the ball and unleashed a shot destined for the empty net from a tight angle on the right, but Nat Borchers interfered at the last moment and cleared the ball off the line.

Despite a stronger second half, the Timbers couldn’t prevent Vancouver from netting the equalizer.

Vancouver pulled level in the 57th minute.

As both teams desperately looked for the game-winner in the final minutes of the match, things started to get heated. But if the Timbers defense wasn’t exactly solid in the early going, it wash heroic. Chara expressed displeasure with his treatment to several Whitecaps as the game ended, and Johnson wound up seeing a red card from referee Juan Guzman.