A generator in the basement had run out of gas, and officials suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, said Lt. Brian Landis of the Oxford County Sheriff’s Office.

The Oxford County Sherrif’s Department identified the victims Saturday afternoon as Brooke Wakelin, who would have turned 22 Saturday, from Attleboro; Matthew Wakelin, 18, from Mansfield; Keith Norris, 23, from Attleboro; and Deanna Powers, 22, from Mansfield.

A medical examiner was running tests to confirm the cause of death, Gallant said.

The victims, all in their 20s, are reported to be from Massachusetts.

It was left running and they went to bed without shutting the generator off. They probably died Tuesday night.

WCVB-TV (http://bit.ly/1fdeOH3) in Boston reports that the cabin did not have electricity and there was a generator in the basement.

‘It’s a shocking and bad reminder to people that carbon monoxide is unsafe, ‘ he said.

Judy Boucher, owner of the Coos Canyon Cabins and Campground, said the father of two of the victims discovered the bodies Friday night, before calling 911 at Boucher’s niece’s house.

The other two were found in separate bedrooms upstairs.

It’s very tragic, ‘ he added.