El-Sissi praised the troops for “foiling a very big plan”.
It added that the draft legislation would – if applied – adversely affect the right of journalists to acquire information from different sources and ultimately limit them to information from only one side.
The Egyptian army has destroyed hundreds of smuggling tunnels since then, though new ones continue to be found.
On Saturday, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi donned his military uniform and traveled to northern Sinai to speak to his security forces in person.
The Islamic State has called upon its followers to launch huge attacks during Ramadan the Muslim holy month, which is in its third week. The attack hit a string of army checkpoints and involved multiple suicide bombings and the siege of a main police station with heavy weapons.
On June 29, the country’s top prosecutor was assassinated in Cairo, which was the first terrorist activity that managed to target a senior official.
“There is a clear coordination and synchronisation in all of the attacks recently carried out between the Brotherhood and its allies and affiliates”, the Foreign Ministry said in a statement on Saturday.
So on Sunday, the country’s cabinet announced a draft law, which would imprison journalists for up to two years for contradicting official government claims about terrorism.
Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry said the timing of the recent attacks make the associations between the Brotherhood and IS extremists “apparent”.
Despite the fact that the region has already been problematic for Egypt and its neighbors for some time, the violence and strife has escalated significantly since the Mursi fell out of power. “Numerous (online) sites of Muslim Brotherhood rejoiced at the fact”, he said.
Reuters reports that the casualties occurred in small villages between the towns of Sheik Zuwaid, which was so overrun by militants last week that the Egyptian military had to use warplanes, and Rafah, which is on the border with the Gaza Strip.
Israeli Major General Yoav Mordechai said in an interview in Arabic with Al Jazeera television Thursday that Hamas had provided help to “groups supporting ISIS” for the attacks, claiming also that wounded jihadists had been smuggled into Gaza.
“Three Grad rockets were fired at Jewish positions in occupied Palestine”, militants from Velayat Sinai (Sinai Province), previously known as Ansar Bait al-Maqdis, said in a Friday statement on Twitter later in the day.
The Egyptian military has protested media coverage of the simultaneous coordinated attacks in the Sinai last week when media outlets initially reported an inflated death toll for Egyptian soldiers.