In this photo taken Friday, November 7, 2014, laundry detergent packets are held for a photo, in Chicago. Coma and seizures were among the most serious complications. This organization is now urging households that have children 6 years and below to stop buying these products.

More than 6,000 families with children ages five and younger have already had to contact poison-control centers this year after their kids ingested the pods or got the detergent on their skin, according to Consumer Reports. The study focused on children swallowing, inhaling or otherwise being exposed to chemicals in laundry detergent pods. This study lasted 2 years between 2012 and 2013.

Doctors who conducted the study say children often mistake the the small, brightly-colored laundry pods for candy and bite into them.

Once that is done, they can easily get into trouble said Dr. Marcel Casavant, MD who was collaborating for this study.

The consumer watchdog group has removed the single-use packets from its list of recommended detergents.

Some manufacturers, including Procter & Gamble, maker of Tide Pods; Sun Corp., maker of All Mighty Pacs; and Cot’n Wash, maker of Dropps, recently announced that they plan to coat their laundry pacs in a bitter-tasting substance.

All laundry detergent containers or packages should be closed and stored immediately after use. He further added that the chemicals in the pods were concentrated to a stage where children could be exposed to unsafe amounts instantly.

The hospital says one and 2-year-olds accounted for almost two-thirds of the poisoning cases.

If something happens like this in your home call the National Poison Help Line number (1-800-222-1222) and save it in your mobile device in-case of emergency.