Play has been suspended at The Open Championship at St Andrews after heavy rain flooded the course on Friday morning. So those who started will replace their balls and carry on from there.

A closing bogey, one of five in a row for a round of 80, barely mattered and was instead greeted with a loud cheer as officials and players applauded from the clubhouse steps.

By the time Zach Johnson, joint second after an opening 66, teed off at a revised time of 11.14am conditions had improved immeasurably with only a brisk wind to deal with.

Forecasters are predicting more inclement weather, including some blustery showers later in the day along with strong winds.

Johnson had stopped the rot with a birdie on the 13th but also bogeyed the 15th and was joined on six under by fellow former Masters champion Adam Scott. “But it might be a case tonight of turning the phone off and having a little bit of quiet time”.

“The Old Course is very sandy and once it starts to drain it will do very quickly”.

“It is not what you expect but it is the Open Championship so it is slightly different”.

Willett, who won his second European Tour title in the Nedbank Challenge in December, holed from 25 feet for birdie on the ninth and just five feet on the 10th.

Warren matched Willett’s 69 to boost Scottish hopes of a first home victor since Lawrie’s victory at Carnoustie 16 years ago.

Dawson said the plan was “to finish round two tomorrow” with a strategy of catching everything up by scheduled finish on Sunday. “It was a long morning. We just don’t know when the rain is going to start, when it’s going to stop, if it’s going to come back”, said the American, who had been scheduled to tee off at 2.34pm but that is now likely to be closer to 6pm. When we did tee off it was certainly much drier and it was just the wind we had to battle. PAUL CHILDS/REUTERS Rainwater gets rolled off of the course and into a brook at St. Andrews. “The game is in good shape, I’ll give it my best and see what happens”.

Persistent rain throughout the early hours worsened considerably as Jaco van Zyl, Mark Calcavecchia and Marcel Siem teed off at 6.32am. “By the time we got to the first green it was literally unplayable”.