The Wallabies clinched the victory in Brisbane after a television match official awarded Tevita Kuridrani the winning try.

All four teams return to action on Saturday, 25 July, with South Africa hosting the All Blacks before Australia’s game in Argentina.

His decision was vindicated: Kuridrani reached for the line only to be halted by Schalk Burger and Francois Louw.

Australia won the ensuing lineout and barraged the line before Kirdrani barged over in the tackle of Schalk Burger and just managed to ground the ball.

The Wallabies finally got on the scoreboard in the 34th minute when centre Matt Giteau took the ball at first receiver and his no-look pass sent Ashley-Cooper on his way to the line, the experienced winger touching down at the second attempt. Bryan Habana retrieved the ball before Willie Le Roux offloaded to Eben Etzebeth who crashed over for his first Test try.

Pollard himself contributed with 10 points from the boot to give South Africa a commanding lead, one which for nearly the entire second half looked impossible to surmount.

Pollard converted to send the Springboks into halftime 13-7 in front and they moved further ahead four minutes after the break when Kriel weaved his way through three defenders to score in the lefthand corner.

The Wallabies however seemed to pick up the pace when ace flank David Pocock replaced Scott Higginbotham in the 48th minute and Aussie flyhalf Quade Cooper’s penalty in the 54th minute to reduce the Boks lead to just 20-10 underlined that but unfortunately for the home side he missed a sitter three minutes later.

Tevita Kuridrani barged over after the full-time siren to give Australia a 24-20 comeback win over South Africa in a dramatic finish to their Rugby Championship test on Saturday. Their defence was still superb but something had to give as the Wallabies continued to hammer away at the wall of green shirts. The Springboks dominated at the breakdown and at the set-piece, but Michael Cheika’s side still found a way to win in Brisbane.